Thursday, December 29, 2005

Tattoo advice


A lot of intrest was generated in my last post over Tattoo's. I think this would be a good time to give some advice about getting ink. The first thing to remember is it's permant. If ya get tired of them in a year or two it doesn't matter. they won't rub off. you can have them removed, but trust me on this, you won't like the results. I have seen some really shitty "removal" jobs See the way a tattoo works is the ink is in down by your third layer of skin, close to the meat. Thats why ya bleed so damn much. This is a good time to mention why it is important to not drink when ya get a tattoo. Alcohol thins your blood. I have gotten tattooed while drinking and let me tell you there is a difference. When you have alcohol in your blood stream, ya bleed alot more than if you don't. Quick way to piss off your ink slinger is to show up drunk.

Another thing you should be attentive to is the cleanliness of the instruments being used for your tattoo. First rule is, does the ink slinger use new needles every time he tattoo's somebody? If he doesn't ,RUN don't walk outta his shop. The next thing to ask is his cleaning process for his equipment. Does he use a autoclaver? (a machine used to sterilize medical tools) Does he use chemicals to wash out his equipment with?

I have been tattoed in the back of an old broken down bus, a metal shed and tattoo parlors all over the united states. Some clean, some not so clean. I have had extensive blood tests done to make shure I am clean too. Other people are not so diligent or don't care. I hate to say it but I know of one person in my own family who has hepitius c the incurable liver eating type, that went and had tattoo work done. "cosmetic tattoo" work. Her eyes lined and lips permantly colored. It pissed me off when I found out she didn't even tell the people doing her work, but whatever damage was already done. Just something to think about. Everybody ain't honest or feel moraly obligated to help preserve your health.

Don't be afraid to get that ink, just be wise. remember it's like getting married, whatever decisions you make are for life, and you can't divorce this one too easily if ya find yourself unhappy. I have some tattoos I wished I could change and one I covered up. It's funny after awhile ya forget ya have them sometimes when ya see them everyday. They are a part of me now. I just accept them. Tattoos are adicting once ya get one too. It's a rush like no drug can provide, and you will always want another one once ya been there and done that. I believe it releases chemicals in your brain when ya get tattooed. I get this warm peacfull good feeling that is hard to describe. I know one person who goes to sleep when he gets inked. Some people get nervous and tighten up. A good ink slinger will know the type of person he is dealing with and will help ya get thru it if necesarry.

Another thing to remeber is the cost. Most people who do ink will want to do your outline and then make you wait for at least two weeks till you heal up and then do your color. This is for your comfort and guess what? When ya show up again he gets to charge you again unless you have agreed on a total price for your work. Iron out all these details in advance. Some tattoo artists expect a tip. Just know who you are dealing with and what to expect. no one likes surprises when getting a tattoo.

Once you get your tatto compleat and it is healing whatever ya do DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN!!! It will make your tattoo scab really bad. Never pick at the scab either. It will destroy your tattoo if ya do. I personally have found that A&D ointment works the best for me. It's made for diaper rash. Some people will even tell ya not to use that. Keep it outta the sun if possible, but let it "breathe" so it can heal. Check with whoever is doing your work. they should give you a sheet with after care instructions.

I know this is along post, but I hope ya have found it informitivePosted by Picasa

5 Comments:

Blogger phoenix said...

Thanks CBM for the advice... I am far from being a youngin ... but I do want that tat. I also have the design in my head... so will have to pay more for the designing of it! Oh well... life goes on! If you find you way up my way... give a shout... then I can give you a bear hug for real!!!!

4:03 PM EST  
Blogger Kitty said...

Very good advice, Cornbread - even for those of us who have been 'inked' before. The guy who did my second one came highly recommended but, he wasn't all that good, imo. My tat is a little 'fuzzy' and needs to be cleaned up a bit to make it clear and crisp.

5:50 PM EST  
Blogger Grey Biker said...

Some of em are expensive too. Good advice you gave.

8:41 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:35 PM EST  
Blogger Cornbread said...

Damn spammers! your outa here!

3:24 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home