Friday, October 24, 2008

That's why I call it the swamp

Hey Y'all!!
The rain didn't let up all day today. I was soaked and cold all day today. This afternoon and evening it was raining even harder. My yard is about to float away. Lot's of standing water. The cypress trees are loving it I am shure.

Have I ever mentioned why I call it the swamp? When we bought our property we knew it was "low". Lot's of cypress and pines. When it rains hard like today the water in the back yard stands and everything is soggy. My dad use to kid me that I bought swamp land. I recently had a guy out to look at it to see about cruising the timber off of it. He kind of hung his head and said he couldn't give me anything for it because the pines were so small. So we got woods! I am kind of glad though. I wanted to make some money off the swamp, but a family down the road and one up the road cleared their land and it looks so bare. I like my trees.

There are no trees directly around my house for shade. I like that too. The shade would be nice, but a friend of mine, a brother in the club, last month had a big oak limb drop thru his kitchen. I have homeowners insurance, but I don't want to have to use it.

Do Y'all know what cypress knees are? I am shure most of you do, but there may be some that don't. Cypress trees roots sometimes grow up out of the ground and form "knees" They can be a few inches tall or a few feet tall. The ones around my property are mostly a nuisance. I run over them with the lawn mower and tear up the blades. Grow in the path of the gate so I can't open it up. I have seen some real pretty stuff made out of the big cypress knees that come from down around the rivers down here. They are smooth as a babies ass and finish real well. Some people cut the big ones off where the come out of the ground and finish them and just put them in their house. I don't have any big pretty ones like that cause my water ain't that high, when I have water on my property. I found out from my insurance company, farm bureau that I live in a flood zone. I don't have flood insurance. If the water gets up as high as my single wide, it has a long way to go. It might get the air conditioner unit outside and the steps but that's about it.

Well Y'all I'm getting tired. I think I am going to take a shower and go to bed.

Y'all take care!!
Cornbread

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home